Sunday, October 7, 2012

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

No, that's not me. But I am kind of a square.

I ran again yesterday - did another mile. Did it in 9:28. Almost died. (Hard to believe I did it in 8:10 last year when I was in training for the last 5k).

Which brings me to a thought I had: seriously, how could I have actually run THREE times that distance, at THAT pace, last Thanksgiving? I just don't get it. And as I felt myself dying during that last quarter mile yesterday, I started to seriously reconsider the wisdom of doing this whole thing again. I only have 6.5 more weeks until I run another 5k? And I'm dying at one mile?

I think I may have to come up with some other personal challenge this year, because right now, a 5k in 6 weeks sounds just plain stupid.

Maybe instead, I'll make it my goal to be able to ride my bike all the way to Ryan's in Centerville (about 15 miles) by Thanksgiving - and actually do it on Thanksgiving morning (no matter the weather).

Yeah. That sounds much, MUCH more appealing. Since, after all, I really hate running.

So, what do YOU think? Should I continue this madness and try for the 5k run again, or should I do something I have NEVER done before, and ride to Ryan's? (Either way, I'm not changing the name of the blog. Though I may want to consider eventually updating the info on the upper left, since I am now 41. But still somewhat-fat.)

Anyway....CAST YOUR VOTE!*



*Outcome of vote tally may or may not have any actual effect on my decision and in no way constitutes a binding resolution or agreement between the voting parties and my legs/lungs.




4 comments:

  1. Here is my take. The only exercise you are likely to integrate into a healthy lifestyle is one you enjoy. Or at least sort of enjoy. So I would say it's time to leave running behind and go with your biking challenge (and then stick with biking for the months and years ahead). I wouldn't look at this as quitting. Quitting would entail you are not going to do anything. I would just consider it a change in challenge type. And one that's more likely to bring satisfaction and instill a desire to keep exercising. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ryan! I will take that advice to heart...

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ryan. Do what you enjoy. If you are spending time away from the family, at least let it be enjoyable!
    Also, there are indoor cycle trainers like (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094KIVQW?psc=1)that are reasonably priced. That way you can ride all winter on the same bike and maintain a "tough posterior."

    ReplyDelete