Monday, September 5, 2011

Run #5: The Power of Music

Remember this guy?  That was some powerful music.

I have discovered that a good playlist can go a long way - at least 2.2 miles! 

Yep, I met my goal for tonight, increasing my distance from 2.0 to 2.2 miles.  It took 24 minutes (I ran at 5.5 mph) and I burned 393 calories, according to Dr. Treadmill.  At the end, my heart rate was 176, which seems totally wrong.  Heart rates shouldn't go up that high, IMHO.

As for the music, I decided to create a RUNNING playlist on the iPod.  I carefully selected some tunes that I thought would set a good pace, get the blood flowing and the fists pumping.  I have never been a Rob Zombie fan, but I discovered that Scum of the Earth is the ideal tune for running at 5.5 mph.  Other selections included Black Sabbath, The Cult, and EMF.

The EMF album (Schubert Dip) was released in May 1991, the month before I turned 20.  I have a picture (well, I have no idea where the photograph is now, but I have a mental picture of that picture) of myself, leaning against my old 1980 Dodge Challenger, that was taken right around that time - and man was I in incredible shape.  Slim, muscled, toned, tanned - and yes, 20 years old. 

A pretty good vision to have in my head as I run - better than that image across the room in those floor-to-ceiling mirrors.

Anyway, the music helped a lot tonight.  Wednesday, I look forward to hearing more of the playlist (which includes Guns n' Roses, Faith No More, Metallica, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Pearl Jam, Primus and Queensryche).  Really digging back into my long-hair days . . .

I have a feeling the music thing will only carry me so far, though.  I think that even better than music, would be to do the run while completely unconscious.

Until I figure out a way to do that...

I really HATE running.

1 comment:

  1. Good music can really help. As can a movie that draws you into a different reality (which, of course, is your goal, right? At least temporarily). Just the right conference talk can work too, if it's on a topic that you want to think deeply about. Course then you have the problem of your body screaming out "Hey, I can't think deeply right now. Can't spare the resources!"

    ReplyDelete