Saturday, September 17, 2011

Run #10: Going the Distance

 My body doesn't care what I think.

Running is actually pretty cool!  Just kidding.

It still sucks.  I've been running for three weeks now, and it just stinks.

But I do have some good news: I ran the full 5k tonight - all 3.1 miles!  That's 0.5 miles more than Wednesday night.  And I didn't slow down.  In fact, I started at 5.1 mph, then gradually worked my way up to 5.6 mph by halfway through, and then maintained 5.6 all the rest of the way.

Time?  34:04.  (555 cal burned.) That's more than two minutes better than my time last Thanksgiving Day (when I ran the 5k cold turkey).  Now I just have to shave off 4:04 over the next 9 weeks.

I am actually really pleased with myself.  And, amazingly, at no point during tonight's run did I think I was going to die.  It was hard, yes, but not to the point where I wanted to slash my wrists or gouge my eyeballs out and extract my brain.

From now on, I will run 3.1 miles each time, and keep trying to reduce my time to 30:00 minutes - a little bit at a time.  I think I can . . . I think I can . . . I think I can . . .

I think I . . . still hate running.

No comments:

Post a Comment