Friday, November 4, 2011

Run #25: The Slacker Run

No, that's not me.  Well, yes, it WAS me tonight.  But that's not actually me.

Fine, I admit it - I did a totally lame run tonight.  Yes, yes, I maintained a good pace (6.4 the whole way), but I only ran HALF of a 5k (1.55 miles).  I'm tired, it's late, I gotta get up early, I ate too much, blah blah blah...

So, yeah.  Pretty lame, huh?

My time was 14:32, which, if doubled to 5k would be 29:04, which would be awesome - but I seriously doubt I could do that, even on a good day.  Ah well, I can't be spectacular all the time, I guess.

Tonight's music:
1) Pure - The Lightning Seeds
2) Darklands - The Jesus & Mary Chain
3) Coast to Coast - The Jesus & Mary Chain (perfect song for a 6.4 running pace)
3) Blues From a Gun - The Jesus & Mary Chain (didn't even finish this song)

As I ran tonight, and looked across the room to my bobbing reflection in the floor-to-ceiling gym mirrors, I listened to these tunes from my youth and pondered on how weird the whole thing is.

I mean, 20 years ago, when I first listened to that music, I was young and fit and invincible.  I never would have DREAMED that one day I would be actually running on a treadmill.  Treadmills, I believed, were just for this guy's rehab.  It would have been ludicrous - the concept that I would one day drive through a heavy snowfall (as I did tonight) just to go to an empty gym and do something I loathe...and then go home, get on a computer and write about it, then publish that writing in a great invisible electronic medium that allows anyone and everyone in the world to read it.  And the idea that I would actually NEED to get on that treadmill.  That I would ever be so OLD.

Well, I am this old - very, very old.  And so I did it.  True, I didn't do a great job tonight, but I did break a good sweat, get well-winded, get a little sore, and hopefully did my heart some good.

It's so weird being old.

And I hate running.

No comments:

Post a Comment