Friday, October 21, 2011

Run #21: Didn't Want To; Did It Anyway

 This had better be worth it.  (No, that's not me - my arms aren't that skinny.)


Well, yeah, that's the story every time - forcing myself to do what I hate.  (It's a great lesson in mind over matter - self-discipline - that's for sure.)  But tonight in particular, I did not want to because:

A) I was so, so tired - I just wanted to go to sleep!
B) I was so full, from a delicious dinner at Star of India followed by a delicious dessert at Bruges Waffle & Frites.  The torpedo at Bruges is unbelievably good.

So, I decided I would either:

1) Run for 20 minutes and see how far I got, or
2) Try to get my best time at the 2/3 of a 5k (2.03 miles) distance.

Since these goals are pretty similar, I didn't decide until the last few minutes of the run which I would do.

I ended up doing the 2.03 miles, in 19:35.  This is better than on track for a 30 minute 5k, but I was so DONE at the end, the 30 minute 5k seemed like a pipe dream.  I still don't know how I managed to do a 30:01 5k a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sure you folks laugh at the idea of me struggling to run two miles, but I'll have you know it took every ounce of will power to keep going and make it to 2.03 miles.

Tonight's music:
1) Dreams - The Cranberries (good run song)
2) Linger - The Cranberries (good run song)
3) In the Clouds - The Cult (excellent run song - it came on at just he right time to give me a big boost I needed and keep a good pace for a few minutes)
4) Tunnel of Love - Dire Straits (an old favorite)

I didn't get to the rest of the set list, which included:
5) It's a Livin' Thing - ELO (listened to some of it on the way home; I think it will be a good run song, so will move it to Monday's set)
6) Djobi Djoba - Gipsy Kings (I'm sure this will be great; moving to Monday)
7) Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre) - Gotan Project (I'm sure this will be fun as well - electro-tango tends to get me moving)

I had the thought tonight: what will I do on Thanksgiving morning?  Listen to the best of the best run songs I've put together over the weeks, or talk with my friend Ryan who is going to run with me?  Talking seems like the best option, but I've gotten so used to the music.... hmm.  I think I'll just do music for training, and talk on run day.  After all, Ryan will be kindly throttling back to keep pace with my slow butt.

I can't wait!  (Because then I will be done with running!)

Because, as you know, I HATE running.

No comments:

Post a Comment