Monday, October 24, 2011

Run #22: Not So Bad

A perfect storm for running? (No, that's not me - it's some really cool lightning.)


I have to admit - tonight was not so bad.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I liked it - oh, no - and I'm not even saying that I didn't hate it.  I just didn't hate it SO MUCH.

Here's why: I really worked on NOT thinking about it.  I spent my time enjoying the music and keeping my mind occupied with my worries.  Not the usual worries about having a heart attack and dying alone in the gym - other worries, like about money.  And about how best to promote and spread the word about my Kickstarter project.

Tonight I also tried starting the run with no specific goal - just to run as best as I can for a while.  Part way through, I decided to go for a "2/3 of a 5k" run.  And this time, I corrected my previous mistakes: I was using 2.03 miles as a third of 3.1, when we all know that it is of course 2.07 (rounded up).  So, I ran 2.07 miles, and I did it in 19:41.  I think that's one of my best times - hard to say, since the distance was adjusted - but I maintained a really good pace, and that time is on track for a 29:00 5k.

Tonight's music selection was EXCELLENT for running, too!

1) Knowing Me, Knowing You - ABBA
2) The Heart of Rock n Roll - Huey Lewis & the News (this was GREAT to run to!)
3) What You Need - INXS (another GREAT running song!)
4) Twisting By the Pool - Dire Straits
5) We Can Last Forever - Chicago

I didn't get to the other three songs I had on tap - will have to try those another time.

So, between my distracted mind, my reasonable "goal" and the terrific music, it was a "perfect storm" that helped mitigate the usual torture.

I still hate running, but I will do it again on Wednesday, and not dread it quite so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment