Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Run #20: I Didn't Think I Had it in Me

I imagine HE hated running, too.  (I guess that's why his song didn't quite work for me tonight.)

No, really - I didn't.  Over and over again, I planned to give up.  Like, every two minutes.  At least.

My goal tonight was to run a full 5k again (since I haven't made it that far for a while), regardless of how long it took me.  By hook or by crook, I was going to do it!

And I did.

It took me 31:53.

I did pretty well the first 2.0 miles . . . managed to do that in 20:00, which is not on track for a 30 minute 5k, but still respectable.  But then it all fell apart, and I had to alter my speed all over the place, including some brief speed walks.  I just could NOT catch my breath after 2.0 miles.

Plus, the Angry Klingon returned and started to surgically remove my left shoulder with a dull bat'leth (and his eyes closed).  And he just wouldn't let up.

To top it off, I took so long that my set list ran out and I had to fumble with the iPod with only two minutes to go.

It was miserable, but I made it, and that actually felt good (on the inside, NOT the outside!).

Tonight's music:

1) The Winner takes it All - ABBA (I don't hope to win, just to finish)
2) Mustang Sally - The Commitments (can you believe Andrew Strong was only 17 when he sang that?)
3) Love's Theme - Barry White (I'm not sure what I was thinking with this one - I do not recommend it for running.  Unless you look like this.)
4) Darlington County - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (probably the most fun track on the Born in the U.S.A. album, despite the part about soliciting a prostitute.  P.S. R.I.P. Big Man).
5) We Can Last Forever - Chicago (surprisingly decent run song)
6) Precious Declaration - Collective Soul (great run song)
7) Needs - Collective Soul (great song, only "okay" for running)

This was really hard tonight, because my body still hurts from last night's REALLY HARD workout.  I am on a new program, and it is a killer.

And, on top of that . . . I really hate running.

I will run again on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment