Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Run#23: VICTORY!

 Who am I to argue with the Prime Minister?

I truly never thought I could do it.  Well, at one point, when I initially set the goal, I thought I could do it, or else I wouldn't have set the goal.  That would just be...weird.  Masochistic.  (Not that all of this has not been somewhat masochistic.)  Anyway, once I actually started to try to achieve the goal - THAT'S when I started to think I could never do it.

But...I DID!

I just ran 5k in under 30 minutes.  In fact, I did it in 29:20. (539 calories burned)

TWENTY-NINE TWENTY!

That's 41 seconds better than my best time.

Negative effects: head pounding, right knee kinda sore (though not as bad as it would have been if I hadn't started taking glucosamine chondroitin a couple of weeks ago), Angry Klingon sitting on left shoulder (he always attacks the left!), stupid "runner's high" happening.

Positive effects: major sense of accomplishment.

Even if (heaven forbid) I fail to meet my goal for some reason on Thanksgiving morning, I will at least know that I can do it, because I DID do it - one full month ahead of schedule, too.

How did I do it, you ask?

Well, once again, I found that a combination of good music and deep thought did the trick.  It appears that heavy burdens on your mind make for lighter burdens on your feet, oddly enough.  I was mostly occupied with how to make my Kickstarter project a success, thinking of ways to make it meet its goal.  And while I struggled with that mental challenge, I managed to meet my other challenging goal.

The set list:
1) Someday - Cary Brothers (my favorite song right now)
2) Djobi Djoba - Gipsy Kings
3) It's a Livin' Thing - ELO
4) Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre) - Gotan Project (fun song, but a little "plodding" for running)
5) Dreams - Cranberries
6) Linger - Cranberries
7) Tunnel of Love - Dire Straits

So, don't you think that what I did tonight deserves some kind of celebration - a reward?  No, I'm not going to go eat a cupcake (as much as I wanted to before my run).  I'm just saying . . . if my great diligence and determination, and my winning spirit have inspired you at all . . . then consider helping me meet that other, super-important career goal by making a small donation to my Kickstarter project.

Thanks.

And . . . WOO HOO!!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, my friend! Keep the victories coming!! You'll be under 28 min. on Thanksgiving day...maybe faster.

    ReplyDelete